I am writing a 50% final on Tuesday. It is half essay, half multiple-choice. Or, in other words...in the most lame scenario: pulling bullshit from your ass versus eenie-meenie-miney-moe with 25% probability, at most. This emphasis is intended to be all-encompassing. However, people retain information they want to know, or if they think they will need it. Instead of encouraging and nourishing the curious mind in exercise and critical thought, multiple choice dwindles the participants intelligence to regurgitative tactics. In effect, in final exam season, the student stresses to remember information quickly and stores it in a short term memory. Anything that is not of interest or need is dismissed. Where it goes, I don't know.
Mandatory public confession: this post relates and relays things "as I see it." I have expertise only through my mind - my only formal credential, if that. The information that is retained should be of greater importance. Simply put, the legend lives on through this way. In this sense, one better well [fucking] question why multiple-choice testing is even used. If professors are teaching you because they are passionate about their subjects, should they not want to position their role as a teacher to attribute the students capacity to learn through using concepts and meaningful critical thinking? If not, one might question the objectives of the professor in a syllabus, and observe the adherence to the principles; or, in other words, do the objectives reflect the objectives of a learning environment? Without a direct connection between the learning environment, where the category of testing strategies is found, then perhaps one might see the logic of how multiple choice may have been theorized as beneficial. Not that this is acceptable, mind you.
This is not an attack on this course I am writing the final for, nor an attack on the course instructor (whom has been integral to my success thus far in the course). This rant is not personal. It is not a means that I am using to bolster my strong opinion through a passive voice to someone. That 'someone', perhaps even you, dear reader, who may have received this blogs link through my public website link on Facebook (even if you are not a friend; it is public). Don't read me wrong, you're reading is my benefit regardless of whether I know who and who has not read this. The issue is larger than my personal opinion. Of course, my opinion is tragically a result of the invasive ways of multiple choice; I am biased. But that gives credence, to some degree. My urge is that someone will see fault in my logic and present an alternative. And dear soil, dirt and earth I hope this happens. My logic asserts that the above situation is a fallacy commonly found today. One that disseminates essential values and purposes of education in exchange for speedy processes with generic answer keys and no comments of consideration.
Someone, pass me a tissue...erm, I mean eraser. I hope I circled the wrong answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment